Selecting The Right Type of Stroller For Your Lifestyle
Having a baby is exciting, but also very tough! There are tons of decisions you will make throughout your pregnancy, throughout your babies infancy and during their entire lives! One of those early decisions you will have to make is what type of stroller to by your precious baby. In case you weren't aware, a stroller is a must have item for all new parents! Most parents buy their first stroller before they even buy a crib for their newborn. You can use your stroller from day one!
It's easy to get wound up over the selection process. Fortunately if you use the tips below for selecting the right type of stroller, you won't have any trouble at all selecting the right stroller! Here are some important considerations when buying a stroller for your baby.
Selecting a Style There are many different 'styles' of stroller. Here are just a few:
- Conventional stroller - this is your standard stroller. Most come with a harness or belt to keep your baby safe and secure, a snack tray, maybe a cup holder, foot brakes and removable padding to keep your baby comfortable. A conventional stroller may range in price from $30-$300 or more.
- Tandem or double - if you are having twins or have two babies close in age, a double stroller may be your best bet. You can buy a side-by-side version or a front to back version. While bulky, these strollers do come in handy when shuffling around your little ones.
- Exercise or Jogging - these strollers are increasingly popular in recent years. While many are more expensive than traditional models, most parents feel the added investment is well worth it. Most exercise strollers come with a durable aluminum frame. They can carry your toddler up to 80 pounds, twice as much as conventional strollers. Exercise strollers usually easily fold like any other model. They are a good selection for parents on the go who want to get fit while entertaining their child.
- Lightweight - lightweight strollers feature lightweight materials. Most weigh less than 20 pounds. Most average 12-15. This is a bonus especially if you plan to haul around a hefty 30-pound toddler. Remember the heavier your stroller the more weight you'll push around. A lightweight stroller makes quick trips to the grocery store a lot easier. Some families opt to have a lightweight and a conventional stroller in the house. They can use the lightweight stroller for traveling and the conventional stroller for walks around the block.
The first thing you should do when hunting for a stroller is decide what style best meets your needs. Once you do this, you can start looking for a stroller that has the unique features and accessories you feel make the package complete.
Stroller Accessories and Features Once you decide the style of stroller you need, it's time to select accessories and features. Some strollers come fully loaded with accessories and features. You may pay a little extra, but you won't have to buy these features separately. Here are just a few accessories and features that most parents find useful when buying a stroller:
- Extra cup and snack holders for parent and child.
- Weatherproof fabric.
- Additional rain or insect mesh shield.
- Adjustable canopy to keep sunlight away from your child regardless of the direction you turn.
- Reflective materials to keep you visible when walking during dusk or in the evening.
- Foot and hand brakes.
- Built in shock absorbers.
- Built in toys to entertain your child.
One feature you can't live without is an adequate harness. Look for a stroller with a three or five point harness to keep your infant safe and secure while riding. You should always belt your child when riding, even when they are an infant, to make sure they don't accidentally slip out of the stroller and hurt themselves.
Before shopping for your stroller, create a list of the key features and the style of stroller you plan to buy. This will help reduce your list of 500 strollers to perhaps 20. Once you have narrowed your list you can look at dozens of online reviews to select the perfect stroller for you and your family.